Compair this picture to the black and white one below to se how many aditional rooms have been aded to the Scarnish Hotel (The Lean To)
Scotland in Pictures
Tiree ( past & present )
Scarnish Harbour 2007
top pictures showing the Mary Stewart in her final place, the bottom pictures taken when the Mary Stewart was in her prime.
Mary Stewart 2007 M. Sweeny
Top pictures show what is left of the Mary Stewart after around 87 years of being battered by wind and waves.
Courtesy of Mr Angus Munn
This photograph taken in the 1920s or 1930s shows the 'Mary Stewart' in Scarinish harbour with the Temperance Hotel on the right and MacArthurs' general store on the left. Built by Barclay in Ardrossan in 1868, the sixty-four foot long 'Mary Stewart' was rigged as double-topsail schooner and had a tonnage of sixty-five.Originally trading on the Irish coast, she was bought in 1908 for Donald MacLean of Scarinish by his relation, Dugald MacKinnon. Dugald was known as Dùghall an Òir (Dugald of the gold) because he had had been successful in the Australian Gold Rush.Donald MacLean, with his sons as crew, traded up and down the West Coast of Scotland carrying coal and other cargo until the late 1930s when steam superseded sail. The remains of the 'Mary Stewart' can still be seen in Scarinish harbour.
Courtesy of Mrs Netta Martin
Taken in the early 1930s, this view of Scarinish harbour shows the topsail schooner 'Mary Stewart' in her final resting place. For the previous thirty years she had traded up and down the west coast carrying coal and other cargo.Also anchored in the harbour are two lobster boats. Commercial lobster fishing began on Tiree after 1880 when the railway to Oban was opened, allowing shellfish to be sent live to the London markets for the first time.Said to have been originally built as a church, the building in the background was used as a store by the owners of the 'Mary Stewart'. It was pulled down to make the road to the pier during World War II.